When you hear the word “nanotechnology,” does science fiction spring to mind? In fact, nanotechnology is part of our daily lives; it makes our lives easier. Nanotechnology is basically the science of dealing with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Scientists can use nanotechnology to create new materials which can be applied and used in several different ways.
The practical side of nanotechnology
To give you an example of how nanotechnology can effect your lifestyle here is an article that Science Daily ran last month. The article states that scientists are creating a way to use nanotechnology to reduce the amount of friction in car engines and machines. This technology might make machines operate more efficiently; extending their lives. According to the article, tiny polymer particles were created and distributed in oils used in automobile engines. These were then tested in conditions akin to car engines and found to minimize friction tremendously.
More efficient motors
Even when dispersed at low concentrations they lowered friction significantly, much more so then the friction additives currently being used in many industries today. How much more do they lessen friction? By about 55 percent more! Nanotechnology is a growing industry so expect more breakthroughs like this. In fact it is growing so quickly that the United States recently launched a national strategy to ensure that environmental, health, and safety research needs are addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
Next time you think of nanotechnology think about your car’s engine. Some day nanotechnology could be responsible for helping you save lots of money due to your engine consuming less gas.
Network and PC Security: 7 Tips to Fight Malware – eTrepid
The Latin root "trepid" is defined as timid or fearful. The prefix "e" means without. Together eTrepid brings you IT services without fear.
Our professional services and technicians will help you maintain and grow your business capabilities through smooth computing function.
- 06/19/2013 Risks, rewards with Bitcoin payments
- 06/14/2013 Keep the power with these battery packs
- 06/07/2013 Bad press notwithstanding, Windows still top OS
- 06/05/2013 Does your business have a cybersecurity plan?
- 06/04/2013 They’re not kidding: A MacBook named the best Windows laptop
- 05/29/2013 What’s wrong with Microsoft’s new logos?
- 05/23/2013 Are you sloppy with your online passwords? It’s time to change your habits
- 05/22/2013 How many of these bad tech habits are you guilty of?
- 05/14/2013 You might be surprised which mobile device is hacked the most
- 05/09/2013 Time to buy a computer monitor? Do your research